Thursday, March 19, 2009

We're Not Even Close to Finished

Florence. Ah Florence! So lovely! So steeped in culture and the arts. Not to mention this is where we had the nicest hotel. Anywho, remember my little aside about not being able to take pictures? Well here's the beef. Michaelangelo's David is in Florence, at the Galleria dell'Accademia. On the way there, and upon arrival, we were told not to take pictures of the David, or anything else, for that matter. And in the gallery, there are tons of signs that say NO PHOTO. So, being the type of person who has some respect for the rules, I did not take any pictures. I realize that no photos in museums is pretty common. But, as we sat there, waiting for the tour guide to finish her marathon description of the David, I must have seen 75 people take pictures of the David. And they weren't shy about it either. They were using flashes and posing right there under his business. I kept waiting for someone to ask them to stop, but no one did, until the people responsible for that job had finished their urgent cell phone calls. I guess priceless is relative. Then we started thinking, the David stood outside in the weather for 400 years before it was moved inside. What are a few pictures going to do to it? Canvas, Tapestry, no flash, I get it. But Marble? Come on folks!
But aside from this slight annoyance, we loved Florence. I found myself wishing I had an unlimited fashion budget to buy beautiful leather shoes, purses and coats (sorry to anyone who reads my blog that is opposed to that sort of thing). I actually found myself wishing that all over Italy. Very fashion conscious, the Italians. Anyway, the pictures of Florence.


No comments: