Thursday, September 11, 2008

Keep Left: My Experiences Driving in England to Date

Keep left. That is what this sign means. I must say that so far I've been doing a pretty good job of this. Up until only a few days ago, I had only driven our big American style van on these tiny British roads. I finally drove Brandon's used British spec Audi the other day. More on those comparisons in a minute.

The Motoring Test
I did pretty well on my motoring test. Ninety-four percent. Not bad considering the class only lasted three or four hours and one hour was devoted to the dangers of drink driving (not an issue, and no that is not a typo, it's what they call it here), and the last hour was devoted to the test. There were only fifty questions, so 94% means I only missed three. One of them was about the legal limitations for blood-alcohol content. Like I said, I sort of tuned that portion of the class out.
Venturing Out
I was understandably a little nervous my first time out on the road. I just tried to imagine driving in the fast lane of a US interstate. This helps a lot, although the roads here are nothing like an interstate. There are A roads and B roads, and maybe even C roads, but if there are C roads, they are like gravel driveways of the US. And let's not forget the oncoming cars on your right. This is a little unsettling.
US Spec vs. UK Spec
This is our rental, a British spec, not our van.
Okay, this is the biggie. We brought our Honda Odyssey over with us. It's a little big. It's wide, so I always think I'm going to sideswipe everyone I pass. British cars are little, even the vans. They are skinny. And there are some roads here that I am absolutely sure I could not drive down. That trip to Lavenham was pretty terrifying. We were on what would definitely be a one way in the US and we must have encountered at least three oncoming cars. We literally had to pull of into a field to allow the other cars to pass. And when we came upon one on a bridge, I'm sure the Brits in the other car must have laughed at me as they drove away because I couldn't even bear to look while Brandon maneuvered the van.

Also, I prefer driving my American van over driving the UK Spec Audi. It's a little strange driving on the other side of the road, but it's really strange driving on the other side of the car and having all this "extra" hanging out to your left. I reached for my seat belt with the wrong hand every time, and the gear shift, too.
Passing
We'll begin with oncoming traffic. Passing oncoming traffic in an American car as a passenger is horrifying. I am convinced that I am facing certain death every time we pass an oncoming car. Brandon doesn't understand this, but then, he's not sitting in the primary point of impact. When I'm driving our van, obviously it's not so bad. And, strangely enough, it's not too bad when I'm driving the Audi. I guess it's like in the states. We drive on the side closest to oncoming cars, too. I guess as the driver I just feel more in control.
Now, overtaking another vehicle. In an American car, difficult. It's pretty hard to see oncoming cars. A British Spec is much better for this. Luckily it doesn't come up too much. Mostly all we need to pass out here is a bicycle every now and then.
Road Markings
Suggestions really. The center line is just like a pretty white painting for everyone to drive all over.
Roundabouts
Okay. The roundabouts aren't too bad. Some are worse than others. After yielding to my right I just head on in and hope that I'm in the correct lane and figure that if I'm not, all the Brits can call me the stupid American and I'll be none the wiser. I'll probably never come face to face with any of them, right?
As a Passenger
Well I've already told you about being a passenger in an American car. Being a passenger in a British car isn't much better. There are no shoulders in England. They let the trees and hedges grow right up next to the road and I guess they just put asphalt down on whatever was there since the middle ages because the buildings are right on the edge of the road, too. So instead of fearing death by oncoming car, I fear death by collision with any number of solid objects.
Mistakes
I must say, there haven't been many. There are even days when I set out on the correct side of the road and I panic for a minute because it feels so normal that I think I must be doing it wrong. But there was one day. It was a day that had been extremely difficult, full of several household setbacks and tears for my beloved America. We drove into town for something and I had to drive back home without Brandon. As I pulled out into the street I was faced with a very angry looking woman in her car. She gave me this look as if to say "What is the matter with you?" A lot, I thought to myself , but that was it. She then, very huffily turned off the road in another direction. It wasn't until after she had gone that I realized I was on the wrong side of the road. This just set off another flood of tears and increased my desire to return home tenfold. But it's gotten a lot better since that day. Let's hope it just stays that way.

5 comments:

Nicole Howard said...

That is crazy!! Good luck with that.

williams family said...

Yikes! The thought of driving on the other side of the road scares me. I know you'll just get used to it, but I'm sure it's awful while youre' learning! Good luck!

Abbey said...

Sounds like you are doing pretty well over all. I surely hope I never have to do that...I can hardly drive correctly in America!

Lacey, Ryan & Leif said...

Oh Melissa,
I feel like the only one who can really sympathize with you right now. I've been thinking of doing a weekly post on "What's Weird with my Turkish Home!" Honestly there are so many bizarre things we have run into with being abroad. Things are functional and not convient. Thank heaven the Turks drive on the right side of the road. We however have been told that they drive crazy so watch out. You are so brave to drive off base, I don't know if I will yet. Love your post and so did Ryan. At least you sound fun and upbeat about it all.

Shelley said...

You are so brave. I haven't driven here yet-- but we're getting a car, so my time to remain a wimp is drawing nigh. I hope I get the hang of it as quickly as you have.