Saturday, September 6, 2008

Fitting It All In

As in, we won't be. This applies to so many areas of our time here in England. We're already pretty sure there is no way that we will be able to visit the many places on our list in just three short years. In the United Kingdom alone there are enough things to keep us busy for at least three years. London has enough for six months (we're talking weekends and holidays, of course).

But the real inspiration for this post and the title is our home. Our household goods finally arrived and we're already exploring our options for storage and possibly even moving. I know, crazy, huh? This lovely little home, close to base, brand new, and we already can't wait to get out of it. It's just not working. It's like dating the handsome, hygiene conscious guy next door. It's clean, nice to look at and convenient, but it doesn't really meet any of our other needs. With an unlimited budget, I'm sure I could make this house work, but it would require storing all of of our furniture and buying new, custom created storage shelves. And even then, it would still feel like we were living in a storage locker because everything we normally keep behind closed doors, (in storage closets) would be on display. We don't have a coat closet. It rains here a lot and they don't even build homes with places to keep your rain gear. If you hadn't guessed it already, it's not my best day overseas so far. The situation with our home has taken away my sense of excitement and adventure. Those of you that know us well, know that Brandon and I don't do cluttered very well. And at this point, we have no choice. We can't even unpack anymore, because there is no place to put everything. We concede that we brought too much stuff, but we were told that we could probably make it all work. We didn't know what to leave or what to take. Of course, now we know. When you're not forced to look at your stuff with a critical eye, it's hard to do. In hindsight, we should have stored everything but our beds and a few family pictures, just to make it feel like home. Sure, that's going a little overboard, but it would have made the last few days easier.

Anyway, enough already. I wanted to post some pictures here of the house and how crazy it looks right now, but my ant virus software has placed my camera software in quarantine and I can't restore it. And of course we can't find any of our disks to fix the problem, so until then, my posts may be pictureless, at least no new pictures. But, if we move again, I probably won't be posting much anyway. Moving twice in less than six months? NOT MY FAVORITE!

3 comments:

williams family said...

That totally sucks! I'm so sorry it's not working out at all! I understand about the clutter problem, I'm sure you are going crazy! I'm sure you guys will work something out, you're creative!

Shelley said...

Yikes! What a nightmare. I'm back to blogging after a LONG summer hiatus. I loved reading about your adventures; the ups and downs of overseas living. I think it takes a good month to put away and reorganize your home after you move. Hopefully as time goes on, you'll be able to find creative ways to arrange your stuff. Hang in there-- or just leave it all every weekend and play in London!!

Lacey, Ryan & Leif said...

Melissa,
Oh my heart goes out to you guys. We looked yesterday at base housing and it is small but plenty of closets. My big concern is my big huge computer desk we bought will have to be put on our living room where everyone can see it. Argh! They won't give us a three bedroom house so if we get pregnant again that could be a problem. Just two years will be a good thing I think.
Love ya, Lacey