
Well, this post has been a long time in the making, and although I feel a little bad that I didn't put anything up on Kyle's actual birthday, I console myself with the knowledge that I wanted to make this post about turning eight, and ALL that comes with it for our little man. 'Cause isn't that what he looks like in his suit? So, yes, way back when, on February 22, Kyle had his eighth birthday. Brandon and I had returned from Iceland the night before, and being on a Monday, all his actual birthday meant was another year older and some cupcakes at school with his classmates. The party would have to wait. But Kyle didn't mind, and here's why.

Turns out, Kyle turned eight just in time for the Pinewood Derby, which happened to be the day after his birthday. We even managed to pull together a pretty good car in the days before we left for Iceland. Thank goodness for the wood shop on base. Kyle came in fourth overall! Not too shabby. So now Kyle is a cub scout. He is quite excited. I'm quite excited about the carpool, cuz let me tell ya, I do love having another thing to drive to. But I really am glad Kyle is in scouts. We have a really good pack, and great leaders. Now on to that party. Can you guess where we had Kyle's birthday party this year?

Who guessed the bowling alley? You would be right. I decided not to stress myself out by trying to have a party at home this year and went for the bowling alley option, but then made the mistake of inviting his entire class to the party. Now, they did not all show up (thank goodness), but there were 15 kids there, and 15 kids running around the bowling alley doesn't really scream stress free party. But when I got to walk out of the bowling alley as the bowling alley folks cleaned up our mess, I remembered why I had gone that route. No clean up? NICE! And now, the reason this post is so long after Kyle's birthday. The most important thing about Kyle turning eight is, of course, that he was baptized this year. Most of you readers know why it was this year. For those of you who would like to know, you can read more
here. Since this was our first baptism for one of our own kids, we were a little slow getting organized. See, in our ward, your baptism is your baptism and you plan the whole program. So Kyle chose all the people he wanted involved, he even had to think a while on who he wanted to baptize him, which is funny because it's typically your own dad in the case of a eight year old kid in an all member family. So, anyway, March 14th was Kyle's big day.

I got a little teary eyed, I must admit. I didn't think I would, but alas, and right before I had to sing with Jake. And that is a whole other story. Jake was pretty nervous about singing in front of people. In fact, it went from "Jake, will you please sing with me at Kyle's baptism," to "Jake, you will sing with me at Kyle's baptism, or you will not get to play the Wii." I know, I'm a mean mom. But, I knew he could do it and be great. And he was. It was pretty cute, and after we were finished he asked me,"Mommy, why didn't I get the microphone for the last verse?" I had moved it when I sang solo on verse two and forgot to put it back down in front of his mouth for the final verse that we sang together. Turns out somebody likes singin' into the microphone. What a little ham. So, that's what we've been up to. It seems like most of 2010 has been taken up planning for Kyle's eighth birthday and all that came with it. I would say that now maybe things will slow down a little bit, but I know that I would be cursing myself. Instead, I will just wait and see what the next few months bring our way.
2 comments:
Cute pictures, what a handsome boy! Great idea on the party, on location, those are the kind of parties I need to be planning! Then I won't have to be following every drop, crumb, messy finger...the list goes on...it's a sickness
Such a good looking young man.
Post a Comment