Friday, February 20, 2009

Presidents Day

We honored our great US presidents by venturing out to a place we had not been before. Peterborough is what I guess you would call a big town. I can't be sure because we only saw a small area of it. When we explore a new city, our focus is generally around the cathedral, as that is how most towns are set up here. Peterborough was no different. After finding a car park at the ASDA (British Wal-Mart), we strolled through what was most likely the main shopping area in town, and it led us right up to the cathedral. Now you all know how to navigate an English city. Anyway, the cathedral was quite impressive. I found some great backdrops and got Kyle to pose for me while I experimented with the settings on my camera. But the best part was a little discovery I made while I was wandering around inside. I'm a bit of a fan of Tudor history, so imagine my surprise when I realized that I was standing next to the tomb of Katherine of Aragon, first wife of Henry VIII! I guess that's probably common knowledge to real fans of Tudor history, but I had no idea. And what about the tomb of Mary Queen of Scots, you ask? We'll she was buried here after Elizabeth had her beheaded, but when Mary's son James became king, he had her remains moved to Westminster. So how's that for a history lesson? Check out all the links if you crave more knowledge and, as always, enjoy the slideshow. Unfortunately, you will have to click the link to the slide show to actually see it. I've been trying for several days to get it to load onto the blog, but haven't succeeded. If you have any tips for this problem, let me know. This doesn't always happen, obviously.

No comments: