Monday, February 16, 2009

The Beginning of Time

We decided to head down to London again. This time we chose to explore Greenwich. What a good decision. First, we wandered through the market. Lots of interesting vendors. I can't ever last too long in the markets with the boys. I'm always worried I'll end up spending their college savings paying for all the things they might break. Nothing this time, phew. Then we hiked up to the National Observatory. This is where the Prime Meridian is. We took our turns standing on both hemispheres. We then toured the museum. Lots of telescopes. But what I thought was so interesting was the development of time, and how we moved away from using sundials to having a global system for keeping time. Fascinating.
Then we headed down to the National Maritime Museum. This is the largest Maritime Museum in the world. With the reputation of the British Navy, that is no big surprise. We made it around to a few of the exhibits, but the boys were fading fast. It was a really fun day. We explored areas we'd never even scratched the surface of. We even saw the stadium they are building for the 2012 Olympics. Too bad we'll be gone by then. Anywho, enjoy the slide show.

2 comments:

~Lori said...

Love seeing your pictures!

Jeremy and Sherri said...

What a fun day!! I'm glad you get to do all of these things and share them with us - Then I get to learn all of this fun stuff too!