Monday, November 17, 2008

I Love Paris in the Fall

Well, here it is, the big post on Paris. I know it's what you all have been waiting for. I'll have to do Disneyland separately. I don't want these to get too wordy. We had a great time and there's a lot to say. Let me begin by telling you that I DO NOT recommend taking the ferry across the English Channel. The ride over was fine, and it was neat to drive through the northwest countryside of France in our own car, but the ride back was awful. There was barfing, and Jake contributed to that fun three times, right as we were pulling into port. Being so close to the men's bathroom, it was Brandon's responsibility to clean up the mess, which was effective in getting him to say that no matter the cost, we would be taking the Chunnel train from now on. Nice!
Okay, now that we have that out of the way, let's get down to business. Paris was amazing. This was not my impression on our first day in town, not in the morning, at least. We were told that it wasn't supposed to rain. A funny prank on the American tourists by the concierge? Maybe. It poured. We got off the metro at the Arc de Triomphe and it was drizzling. As we made our way toward the Eiffel Tower, it just got worse and worse. We took our one picture of the tower and headed back underground to the metro. We came up quickly to see Notre Dame and back down we went. We decided to wait out the rain at the Louvre. This is where the day began to turn around. We spent several hours at the Louvre. We thought our kids would have us regretting this decision after maybe an hour, but the boys loved the Louvre. Especially Kyle. I think that in some way, the boys sort of get it that they are getting to do some special things. So we spent the better part of the day at the Louvre. The boys loved the Egyptian stuff, and Kyle liked watching the artists who were copying the masterpieces.
When we came out, the sky had cleared so we decided to make our way back to the Eiffel Tower. The lines weren't too bad, so we decided to go to the top. I recommend going to the top at night, because seeing all the lights from up there was really neat. After descending, it was time to head back to the hotel. We felt we had finally gotten our money's worth out of our metro ticket.
Our second day in Paris was Sunday, so fittingly, we visited two churches, Sacre Coeur and Notre Dame. We also had lunch from a little bakery that was delicious, but I don't think we could have gotten bad food in Paris. We did that at Disneyland, but more on that in my next post. Anywho, we walked around Paris all day again and the boys were great. There were occasional tantrums, but, considering what we were making them do, they were fantastic.
Well I think that was wordy enough. Here's what you've really been waiting for, the slide show. Settle in. It's a long one, 38 pictures.

4 comments:

boys in the hood said...

WOW!!! How fun...sure hope we make it over on our next assignment, between you and Janae', you are really making Oklahoma look BORING!!! Your boys are so big, cute!

Unknown said...

Lis, I love reading your blog and viewing your pics, but is there any way you can change your background color? I see dark lines for like 15 minutes after reading your blog!! And since I'm at work, it makes doing what I'm supposed to be doing a little hard. But I love reading it!!!!! Thanks for sharing all your fun adventures :)

Jeremy and Sherri said...

Love it Love it Love it!!!!

Jeremy and Sherri said...

OK, Jeremy gets the 1000 points! it is from the Bourne Identity where Jason Bourne is talking with the bad guy (can't remember his name) while the bad guy is crossing the bridge. :) Also, the fact that I have walked there and been in that department store makes it even more special! It is one of my favorite areas of Paris, I love the Seine River and walking all over there. I hope you enjoyed it for me.