So, we went on another adventure, I guess it's been two weekends ago, now. We are about thirty minutes from Cambridge, so we decided to spend a Saturday. Cambridge is great because it's got a lot of history and English charm, but it also has the British equivalent of Home Depot, Sears and Wal-Mart. So, needless to say, I love Cambridge. Here's a slide show, and then I'll share the few fun facts that weren't pushed out of my brain by "Can we go home now?"
So, some fun facts. St. John's college was used in filming the first Harry Potter movie, I think for the first broom flying lesson, but that's just a guess. The Mathematical Bridge was supposedly designed to be put together with no bolts, but the designer(Isaac Newton, I think) died before it could be built, so it has bolts. There is a tree, descended from the tree that dropped the apple on Newton's head, standing on the grounds of the University today. And, last but not least, since genetics is such a popular subject in our family, DNA was first mapped out by two students at Cambridge. Amazing. I'm sure there's a lot more, but I'll have to go back without the kids so that I can remember it all.
1 comment:
Sounds like so much fun!!! I sure hopr we get to head over that way in a couple years. I love all the history to see.
It's fun to keep up with your family too...your boys are so big!
Post a Comment