Monday, June 9, 2008

This One's for the Grandparents

And anyone else who might be interested in what's been happening this side of the Atlantic as we prepare to make our big jump.

After several attempts at this posting, I think I have finally gotten the hang of posting pictures on my blog the way I want to. Just don't expect any video any time soon. If the learning curve on that is anything like pictures, it's going to be a while.

So, our lives over the last few months.
Major Brandon Williams

Brandon was promoted to Major in May, marking six years of service in the Air Force. There was a small ceremony and the boys and I got to participate by pinning on his new rank. The boys were pretty cute. It made up for all the noise they made asking for refreshments during the colonel's opening remarks


Little Guy Sports

This was Jake's first year to be involved in a program the Air Force has called first steps. It's an organization for little kids too young for team sports to learn the fundamenntals. Jake chose to participate in Soccer and Baseball. Six one hour Soccer sessions yielded this result at the final "game," where the kids play against their parents.

We made a slightly better showing at the final Baseball "game." Although, do not overestimate the difficulty of getting on base during one of these "games." For this game, the team splits in half to form two teams and the adults fill in the gaps. Now there is nothing better for a few good laughs than watching a game like this. SO CUTE!















Kyle was able to play T-ball for the first time this year. He was so excited. All through his time in first steps he would ask, "When do I get to play real games?" And even better, "Will my games be on T.V., like the ones Daddy watches?" So his first season of T-ball was a huge thrill. Now you would think that someone so excited would always have his head in the game, but 'twas not the case. And not just for Kyle. I think we successfully made about four outs all season. And those were all when the first baseman ran up to the ball and made it to first before the runner. No real "plays." Still, incredibly fun to watch. I'm so sad that I can't post video yet.

















Piano

Kyle had his second, and final piano recital in Texas. He will be continuing with the piano in England, but we can't thank his first teacher enough for all she did to help him. I really wish I could put some video here. I hate to brag, but Kyle is pretty good at the piano, and he looks so cute up there with his little feet dangling off the ground.

School


Kyle finished Kindergarten. What?! I have a first grader. I used to think this was such a grown up thing to say when I was little but, time does go by so fast. And I guess I am a grown up, but I don't really feel the way I thought of the grown ups who would always say that to me, usually my parents. It's nice the way becoming a parent gives you so much more perspective to look back on your childhood. Anyway, Kyle got a completion certificate and an outstanding reader certificate, as he was one of only two kids who were able to read upon entering Kindergarten.















Jake finished another year of pre-school, and has only one to go before starting Kindergarten. Let's hope we find something great in England. We're so excited that the boys will have the opportunity to learn English.


And lastly, a fianl tid bit, just for fun. On the advice of our sponsor, and several other sources, we decided to get bunk beds for the boys. The rumor is the living space is limited across the pond. I'm posting a picture because, as cute as I think these beds are, I competely underestimated how difficult it would be to make bunk beds. I was bonking my head on the top bunk and the ceiling, huffing and puffing trying to lift up the mattress as I was sitting on it in order to tuck in the sheets. But with as much as the boys love them, it's totally worth it.


So there you have it. A post with pictures and something besides technology woes and moving stress. This is for you, grandparents, and anyone complaining that my blog lacks pizazz(you know who you are).

3 comments:

Jeremy and Sherri said...

I love reading your stuff - Which coach did Jake have for first steps? Michael sure loved doing that. Congrats to you Brandon on your promotion - that is so awesome!!

Nicole Howard said...

Cute bunk beds. We have them too and I HATE making the top one. Dylan sleeps up there and I never let him pull out his sheets. He just sleeps with a blanket on top of his comforter. Nice mom-I know.

williams family said...

Cute pictures! It's nice to read a little about what's going on with you guys and to see pictures of the boys. We haven't seen them forever! We're excited to see them (and you too). I'm working on getting a blog started, so when I do we can keep in touch with eachother. We're excited for you guys to go to England, we're really hoping to make it over for a visit! - Liz