Sunday, June 1, 2008

I swore I'd never do this.

Blog. Who really wants to read my thoughts? Am I so self involved that I think my opinions should be shared with the masses? This was my attitude about blogging not too long ago. But I've done a 180 in the last few months thanks to some deliriously entertaining blogs by a couple of people I know not to be the least bit self absorbed (thanks, Cannons), and an eminent move to, you guessed it, the United Kingdom. Grandmas are on high alert. "How will keep up with how fast the boys are growing, what new things they're doing?" Enter the blog. I can post pictures, video, swell stories. One click and the grandmas can rest easy. And maybe every now and then, those grandmas will log on to find out what their own children are up to. Extremely less likely, I know.

We are officially in countdown mode for our move. This is why I had to create my blog and write my first post. Too much new (i.e. country, technology) probably would have caused me to have a nervous breakdown. One safe, comfort zone post from the good old USofA is just the little jumpstart I need to make this strange new world OK.

Twenty-five days until we drive away from our house in Texas. A little longer before arriving in the UK. The requirements for moving overseas are material for another post at a later date. Maybe once I've had the chance to look at it with more humor than stress. For now, let's leave it at this, moving overseas is not for high strung control freaks. And yes, I proudly admit to being one, only now that I am doing my best to not be one. The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?

4 comments:

Jeremy and Sherri said...

I am so excited that you are starting a blog. I just started one a few weeks ago myself. I am so excited for your move!! You guys are so great and we miss you a lot! Goodluck with everything!!

Unknown said...

Lis,
I'm so excited you are coming to the ATL before you leave!! I haven't seen you and the boys since the last time you came (which was entirely too long ago). And don't fret- at least in England they speak English!! You'll love it!! And I'll come visit ALL the time ;)
Katie

LAR Girl said...

congrats! we used to live in Cambridge. Where are you guys going to live? This is Tara by the way.

Shelley said...

Yeah!! I'm glad to add you to my blogging friends. Good luck on your move. I know what it's like to move over the "pond" and it's quite the upheaval. Luckily you are moving to a land where they speak English (sort of!!) I have some friends here from the UK and they sing Hokey Kokey instead of Hokey Pokey. What's that all about?. And they drive on the wrong side of the road just like here in Tokyo.

I don't know if you already have Skype, but it is THE BEST thing we have done here. We have a Tokyo number and a Pasadena number and we have handsets that look just like a cordless phone that connect to our router. (That way the computer can be off and the phone will still ring and I can lay on the couch and talk). We are a local call from all of my California friends and family and pay $0.02 per minute to call them. It is fantastic. We also can video chat with people from home so aunts, uncles, grandparents can actually see us and the kids. I highly recommend it.

Have fun with your tea and crumpets; I still with I could have shared sushi with you.