Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Brilliant Spot of Olympic Games


So, the Olympics have begun, and I usually get pretty amped up for the games. Now, as a girl, woman, whatever, I get excited for things like Gymnastics, Diving and Synchronized Swimming, all the "pretty" sports. I also enjoy the all American classics like Baseball, Swimming and Track and Field. I realize these are competitive sports in other countries, but these are the Olympic Sports I have grown accustomed to seeing every four years.
But, we are watching these games from the United Kingdom. There is a completely different spin on the games here. Of course, we saw the opening ceremony, although we did have to piece it together due the time delay to America and then back to the UK. See, we are still in TLF and have about ten television channels to choose from on AFN, Air Force Network. They broadcast some American television and the BBC, so between those two, we're managing semi-adequate Olympic coverage.
My chief complaint is that all those favorites I mentioned, mainly the women's gymnastics have eluded me. I keep hearing about them, and seeing inspiring commercials and personal stories, but I have yet to see any actual tumbling or balancing. But have no fear! I have managed to stay abreast of what is happening in the exhilarating world of Fencing. And I can tell you who won the Equestrian events. And let's not forget the edge of your seat excitement of Badminton, and yes, it is spelled that way. Who knew, right?
So, I will do my best to enjoy these Olympic Games. It's certainly a change from what I am used to, but I guess that's the point these days. The irony, of course, is that when the Games come to London in four years, we will already be gone. Naturally.

5 comments:

williams family said...

That totally sucks! I love gymnastics too, and the other stuff. We have been watching most of it (minus the stuff you have been seeing!). If you're really desperate you can watch all of the events online on nbcolympics.com - of course Sean informed me of that. Enjoy!

Garry said...

I hope that you got to see the US swim relay team beat those trash talking Frenchies in the 4X100 Freestyle race. That was the best ever!

Dahle Family said...

I know what you mean. that was a real concern for me, so i actually found a friend of mine in the states that has a dvr and dvd burn capabilities and she is going to burn me a copy of all those favorites, so if you would like a copy,let me know. sure it will be after the fact, but you can still see the high flying gymnastics.

Nicole Howard said...

I love how you are starting to sound British! Brilliant!!;)

Abbey said...

I love fencing! Not. Sorry you're missing teh gymnastics...it's excellent, but that doesn't make you feel better...sorry