Sunday, May 9, 2021

Yes Netflix, I am still watching.

 Has anyone told the folks at Netflix that there is a global pandemic happening?

I guess, maybe it doesn't feel that way for some people, but I shared a few weeks ago over on Facebook what it's been like for us here in Germany, and I don't know about all of you, but, with the kind of restrictions we're living under, I've been watching a lot of Netflix, (and Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu) and I mean, a LOT. 

We're on, like, our third or fourth lockdown since this all started, or maybe it's all been the same lockdown. I don't even know anymore, except, I have these pictures in my phone that suggest there must have been a time when we were able to move about somewhat normally, like, not even wearing a mask if we were outside.



These pictures are from Heidelberg. This was a short, afternoon trip that we took way, way back when we were still in TLF. It felt almost normal. We walked around seeing what there was to see and only had to raise our masks when we were in congested outdoor spaces and any time we went inside somewhere.



I had to take this picture because Otto Von Schnitzelpuskrankengescheitmeier can always be found at the Schnitzelbank.





And then, there are these photos.



















These photos are from our trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Guys, we actually stayed over a couple of nights! Like, you can't stay in a hotel in Germany right now unless it's for work, so this was a big deal, and the only time we've spent more than one afternoon adventuring. This was over Labor Day weekend. Guys, it's taken me this long to process my trauma and be able to write about the before times. If you have ever looked at or owned a calendar with pictures of Europe or Germany, you may recognize at least one of these scenes. That was a driving force behind this particular destination.

 I also have these.








This is Burg Eltz. That's Eltz castle for all of you that don't speak German. I had the privilege of studying the beautiful German language under the tutelage of Frau Doud when I was in 7th and 8th grade, so I have not struggled at all since moving here and am basically mistaken for a native German on a daily basis. Quinn insisted on wearing a dress and tiara because we were visiting a castle. A mistake we won't make again, given the mile long hike we had to take to get there. At least once we got to the castle we were able to join the line out in the blazing hot sun to rest from the hike. Masks required here, mostly because of the amount of people, but still a fun outing. This was in September.

Also, these. 















Guys! France! Like, we got in our car and started driving and then, after a while, we were in France! Wow, it's almost starting to look like we have been having a good time, and not been confined to our house and commuter area for what seems like an eternity, but keep in mind, that these trips all happened in basically a four week time frame. This is a World War II site. I'm not a historian, and this is not an educational blog, so if you would like to know more, just google that info on the ticket Quinn is holding up. I just remember thinking how, whenever I watch World War II movies, I just always think they are in the basement of a building, planning and strategizing, but if this is what it was like, that adds a whole other layer of awful.

And then, finally, these.














We took a day cruise on the Rhine. It was cold, but if we were inside on the boat, we had to have our masks on, so we stayed outside. We passed about twenty castles on our trip. No shortage of castles in Germany. 

And that was it. That was the last time se went anywhere outside of a 15 kilometer radius of where we live and where Brandon works. Because we had no choice. It was the law.

So, my media marathon began, which brings me back to what we all are really here for, a post about Netflix. Enough of all these ridiculous photos!

Now, before anyone gets too sanctimonious, all of this media consumption is not happening until after all of my personal self improvement, solving all of the world's socio-economic problems, finding shangri la and achieving nirvana, so no judgement if I choose to relax and watch some TV.

What am I watching? Well, let's see. I took another turn through the MCU, this time going in chronological order, starting with Captain America, and I was really glad we had been to Hackenberg, because I heard a few familiar phrases. And then, I cried and cried when I got to Endgame and Cap started receiving transmissions from Sam and Sam said "on your left," and all the portals opened up. Yeah, my emotions are living pretty near the surface these days. I would probably cry again if I watched it again.
So, the MCU kept me tied up for a while, and then it was on to anything with British accents, period costumes, murder investigations and if it had all three, man, oh man! There is endless content involving one or more of these criteria, so I was set for a good long while. But, in the period costume category, one that came up that I decided I needed to revisit was Les Miserables, the Hugh Jackman one. 

Folks, I have finally arrived at my initial impetus for this post. I am a big Les Mis fan. I have loved this musical since high school, was even part of a concert production when I was in college and can sing the entire thing from beginning to end. This particular cinematic version came out in December of 2012, and I will never forget that because something else that came out in December 2012, was Quinn. I was so looking forward to seeing this film, that I did something I swore up and down I would never do, and that was take an infant to a movie theater. Brandon was still on paternity leave and we chose one of the earliest matinee times in order to avoid a crowded theater, and Quinn ended up sleeping almost the entire time, so it all worked out and I thought the movie was great, and given the good outcome with the baby at the theater and all the build up to the movie, I was able to overlook the minor grievances I had with the production, But, watching it again, during the pandemic, where my outlook was decidedly more unforgiving, I could not abide the grave offenses committed in the name of Hollywood. And so, I now present, My List of Pet Peeves in Movie Musicals. Don't worry. It's short.

Number one
As I mentioned before, I can sing the entire musical from beginning to end, so you can imagine my shock and disappointment when the actors don't get the words right, or right as I know them. I mean, this musical is hugely popular. That's why they made it into a movie, right? So, why make changes? Do you know what it does to my brain when I'm singing along and suddenly I am not singing the same words I am hearing? Just, no.

NEXT! 
Adding songs. You guys, I just can't even with this. They did it in the live action Disney movies and it bugged me then, too. Why, just, why? Not necessary. There is nothing but songs in Les Mis, no dialogue. It doesn't need more! What made the production team think they could do anything to improve on what was already there, because they didn't. I'm sorry, it gets me a little worked up. 

And Finally
Okay, so I totally didn't catch this the first time I watched it, but Colm Wilkinson is in the Hugh Jackman Les Mis. Now, if you don't know who Colm Wilkinson is, he is the original Jean Valjean. At least, he's the one on the two different cast recordings that I own, one of them being the entire libretto with the London Symphony Orchestra. So, it's like making a Phantom of the Opera movie and having Michael Crawford play the part of the auctioneer, and if you still don't know what I'm talking about, you should probably go look at my pictures one more time and be done because this just isn't the post you are looking for. Yes, in the film, Colm Wilkinson plays the bishop who grants mercy to Valjean after he steals silver candlesticks from the abby, thereby allowing him to start a new life. Now, I realize, big names bring in big bucks, but no one sings Bring Him Home like Colm Wilkinson, so if you're going to cast him in a Les Mis movie, cast him as Valjean. Hugh does a fine job. I do not want to get into a debate about Hugh Jackman's singing voice.  He just didn't stand a chance because he wasn't the first voice I'd heard sing those songs. And I'm sorry but we're just not going to talk about Hugh's voice being bad when Russell Crow also sang in that movie. Now, plot twist, I cannot listen to any other version of Grease except the movie version. I cringe with discomfort in the absence of John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.

So there you have it folks, sizzling hot, super relevant, up to the minute content. Now, things are looking up on the old Corona front, so who knows? Maybe in another eight months or so, I'll be back with more.

P.S. Have you bookmarked us yet? If you made it this far, you might be one of the people who would want to. Probably not going to be linking from facebook anymore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great pictures, Lis. Just reflecting on where you got the talent to sing the scores of musicals from beginning to end. The closest movie musical to the stage version is "The Music Man," and even in that they left out some of the best (in my opinion) songs and added some lame others. They even (don't faint) adulterated "Guys and Dolls," though both are pretty good movies.