Thursday, August 20, 2020

The Quarantine

    You guys, we have been out of quarantine for a week now. I can't believe how fast the time went by, compared to the time in quarantine. As I mentioned before, there is no air conditioning in our TLF, and we are on the third floor. Also, the temperatures during our two weeks in quarantine hovered in the 90's pretty much the entire time. There were about three days, after some rain, where it wasn't too bad, but the rest was pretty rough. We have a fan that tells the temperature inside the apartment, in celsius, of course, and after we calculated the conversion, we determined, on one of the hottest days, that it was 90° F in our TLF. Awesome.
     I thought the lockdown was bad in California, but that was a cake walk compared to this. This was a true, honest to goodness quarantine. We were not permitted to leave. We could go outside, with masks, of course, but we didn't choose that option very much because it was so hot and it wasn't like we could come back to the cool respite of our TLF. 
    Our wonderful sponsors did our grocery shopping for us, and as grateful as I am, I absolutely hated that. I'm not great at accepting service in the first place, and revealing my dietary habits to complete strangers made me feel a little too vulnerable. 
    The couches in our TLF are vinyl. So, we were stuck to them a lot. There's one fabric chair that we would fight over because it wasn't quite so sticky, but it was also in the hottest part of the room come afternoon. 
    The TLF building is like a hotel, but each apartment is as wide as the entire building, no center hallway. The front faces the parking lot and the back faces the playground, that Quinn was not allowed to go on, for two weeks. That was fun to explain day after day. With the heat, having the windows open is a necessity. In the parking lot, there is automobile noise at all hours and street lamps that flicker on and off all night. On the playground, children who have beed abandoned to become forest nymphs play on the equipment well past any reasonable bedtime for a child and I can only guess that they torture each other as well, judging by the screams. 
    We tried our best to pass the time by taking care of what few things we could on the internet and looking for housing, which was basically looking at what appeared to be cold murder case file photos of the available houses in the area. Maybe marketing really is more of an American thing. Not sure how anyone intends to rent their property based on the photos they put on their listings. 
    The only tolerable place to sleep is the living room, despite the noise and the lack of darkness, because it is the only room that cools off enough to actually sleep. I cannot fall asleep if I am hot. We were waking at odd hours and staying up all day then falling asleep around 5:45pm almost the whole time. The quarantine made the adjustment pretty difficult. But, I wanted to share a few pictures from our time in quarantine.




    That's right, folks, GIFs! I've been brushing up on my skills, and while I know blogs are so last decade, it has to be done, because there is just too much to say. Everyday I have to decide what I'm going to tell you all about next and most of the time, I end up putting it off because I can't decide. I'm afraid that if I start, I might never stop. But I am going to stop for tonight. That pretty much sums up the quarantine. It sucked. I wouldn't recommend it.

No comments: