Thursday, July 23, 2020

How NOT to Plan an International Move

Hey there, folks! Let me first apologize to anyone I left hanging waiting for Part Two from Lot's Wife. Suffice to say, nearly five years in California has not changed my opinion of the place for the better. It hasn't been all misery, but as we prepare to leave, my feelings echo those that I had the last time we moved away. We will miss the friends we have made dearly. I will miss our home that was my fortress, where I shielded myself from the many aggravations that are requisite to living in California. But I am not sad about leaving. Not even a little bit. The current conditions have aligned in an effort to ensure this.

We have moved many times in Brandon's Air Force career, but only one other time overseas. We might as well have been moving into the house next door that time compared to how difficult this move has been. Near the end of 2019, the Air Force had made an effort to provide ample time to prepare for a PCS (Permanent Change of Station). By the end of January, we knew we would be moving to Germany. It was the most advanced notice we've had in 18 years of service. We were feeling pretty good, despite all the changes we would be facing. Then March came. Need I say more? All movement was halted. All of the plans we had put into motion had to be changed. And then we waited. We did what we could to get ready, which was very little, and then we waited some more. Every week, it seemed like things would change. We're going. We're not going. If you think the anxiety about COVID-19 is bad, throw an international relocation on top it. It was July before we knew for absolute certain that we were going and going when we had originally expected to go. So much for advanced planning. It's been an intense course on how it doesn't matter how much you plan and prepare, and how you think things should go, things aren't always going to go as planned.

But, we are going! And we are excited, if not a little apprehensive. We will have to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival, and we aren't 100% sure what our travel capabilities will be once we're out of quarantine, but this can't last forever, right? RIGHT?!?!

I'll let you know.😉

1 comment:

Melanie Ferguson said...

Bless you all! So proud of Brandon for giving you this amazing opportunity!
Brandon's cousin Bonni was notified of their move from Luxembourg to OR in March with 3 weeks to get packed, and just last week got their moving pod and into their house. Things move more slowly, but on with the show! They did love life in Europe and I hope you all do too.