I know what you're all thinking. Part One! You were about to move! How much can there be?!?! Well, you'd be surprised. I think we travelled more in June 2011 than we did in any other month we were in England. Gotta pack it in, right? Or maybe you were just thinking, It's about time she put something else on here.
So, Part One is probably one of my most favorite trips from my time in England. Don't get me wrong, I love my husband and my two boys, but my trip to France with some girlfriends was so fun. We drove and took the train through the chunnel. You just drive your car right onto the train and stay in your car until it's time to drive off again. You can get out of your car if you want to, but you don't have to. So cool! It was along drive. It wasn't supposed to be, but traffic around Paris was a nightmare. So glad I wasn't the driver. Thanks, Alyson!
We spent our time in the Loire Valley. We stayed in a little hotel in Amboise, which was a very charming little village. This was the restaurant where we had dinner our first night. The food was delicious. The gnat confetti that was falling on us all night was less appetizing. We could not believe the staff would not close the windows, but they all seemed to be enjoying watching our group of Americans be grossed out.
Amboise
Part of our agenda for the trip was visiting many of the lovely chateaux in the valley. Our first stop was Château de Chenonceau. I have to say, the French build prettier castles than the English.
And their kitchens! I want a kitchen like this one!
Okay, maybe the stove is a little dated, but still.
Such a fun group of ladies. I think we could have gone anywhere and it would have been an amazing trip. The fact that it was a girls weekend in France is just the icing on an already delicious cake.
Chateau number two, Chateau de Chaumont. Once again, another lovely castle. There are beautiful gardens here as well. And, it sits right on the banks of the river. I couldn't help thinking to myself that, upon returning to the US, something like this really wouldn't be too much to ask for when we started looking for our new house.
Even the horse stables were beautiful enough to live in. Loving the smurf hut type thing in the corner. That was the training ring for the horses and the floor was covered in lavender. No stinky saw dust for French horses.
Chateau de Chambord, our third and final for the day. We only saw the outside of this one. But, really, what more do you need? It's quite a sight. As I looked through the rest of the pictures from this stop, it's easy to see that we were at the end of our day. There are lots of silly photos. We had a blast taking them, but I can't help wondering what the other visitors were thinking. I've chosen not to include these photos because what happens in the Loire Valley stays in the Loire Valley.
Another day, another fabulous itinerary. First stop, Fontevraud Abbey. This place was huge, and so well preserved. Not like all the abbeys in England that Henry had torn down. And so clean and white!
Next up, another chateau, this time Chateau d'Usse. We only stopped long enough to peek through the gates, wander the shop and take a few pictures. I guess even in France you start to realize that all the castles look the same on the inside. But the outsides are so impressive.
And finally, Chateau de Villandry. I only showcase the garden here because it was so impressive. It's flowers and vegetables. A lot of what you see here is lettuce. These gardens inspired a little more silliness from the group, which will again, remain a well kept secret of the trip.
After the sightseeing, we had dinner at a lovely little farm turned restaurant. Everything was delicious, but this was my dessert. AMAZING! Lemon tart with grapefruit sorbet. Oh my yumminess!
And speaking of delicious treats, these pictures are from the patisserie in Amboise where we would get our breakfast every morning. The French really do know their pastries.
So that's it. I realize looking at the photos that I left out our stop in Blois. It's only appropriate, though. I had one of the most disgusting things I have ever eaten when we stopped for dinner in Blois. Just a warning, NEVER order andouillette. I figured it would be like cajun andouille, only smaller. It wasn't. There are not words to describe how disgusting it was. But, now I have a great story to tell about Blois.
I'll be back soon with Part Two: Switzerland is for Lovers.




1 comment:
so that second castle on day one - there's one just like it in Alpharetta, if you find yourself wanting to move to the Atlanta area... :)
Post a Comment