This is one of those posts, the kind I don't like to write, but feel like I must. You know me. I don't like to put a bunch of negative stuff out into the cyber world. There's too much room for misinterpretation and a severe lack of emotion. Furthermore, I'm not the touchy-feely type to go sharing my personal life with the masses. Oh yeah, I might have a blog, but I only share the tiniest bit of what really goes on around here. Unfortunately, what I have to share is something that would have become increasingly more obvious as time went on and I posted more and more pictures and then when I didn't post any, leading you all to come to an uncomfortable realization that you would then be unsure of whether or not to comment on it. Even more unfortunately, there is no way to put a humorous spin on this, as you know I prefer to do to my more negative posts. Hindsight will never make this look better. So here goes.
On Thursday, December 10, Brandon and I went in for my 20 week ultrasound, where they were unable to find the baby's heartbeat. I was admitted to the labor and delivery unit on Friday, December 11, where we would spend the weekend waiting to deliver the baby. On Sunday, December 13, I delivered our baby, most unceremoniously. It was, without a doubt, the most horrible experience of my entire life. There are not words to describe the range of emotions that accompany something like this. We chose not to see the baby, a girl, after the doctor explained to us the condition she was in. It had most likely been a couple of weeks since her passing, the result of an umbilical cord accident, and we weren't very interested in seeing our child that way. We will, instead, have to wait until we can see her again. Which brings me to the one shining ray in all of this, the opportunity to be reunited as a family in the afterlife. I am grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ that make this possible. Knowledge of the Gospel, as well as wonderful friends have been tremendously helpful in allowing us to cope with such tragedy.
We are all doing better, now. Of course, the boys moved on quickly, although I think this is something they will always remember. Physically, I'm doing fine. My recovery lasted maybe three weeks. Emotionally, this is the kind of thing Brandon and I may never get over, just past.
But, please don't feel too sad for us. That's not why I wrote this. We just figured it was bound to come up sooner or later. We're doing well and trying to move on. Here's to happier posts as 2010 marches on.
12 comments:
Melissa, I am truely sorry for your family's loss. I send you my thoughts, prayers, and comfort to you now. God gives us only what we can handle, so you and your hubby have to be GIANTS! xoxo
Melissa & Brandon, I love seeing all of your amazing pictures from your incredible travels, so check your blog to see any updates. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Having lost our son at 19 weeks, I can completely relate to the horrible experience that you and your family have been going through. It's never something to get over, but somehow Heavenly Father always helps us get by. If you ever need to talk, or have questions about resources available, I'm here!
Best wishes,
Desi
Melissa and Brandon, so sorry to hear about your loss. You guys will be in our thoughts and prayers. I know we are a world away but we will be thinking of you.
The Jensen Family
I am so sorry Melissa and Brandon. I sent you a message.... You are both strong and you will get through this. Makes you want to be a better person though so you have a chance to raise that sweet baby girl. Love ya!!
Melissa, I'm so sorry. Please know that I'll be thinking about you and praying that you can find peace. You are right-- the gospel does give us hope that things will work out in the future, and that can lessen the sadness you feel right now. But I know that it still hurts. Let yourself cry and let Brandon hold you a lot. Love, Shelley
Melissa,
Please know that there are many thoughts and prayers going out for you and your family. You are loved and I know what a blessing the gospel is in times like these. Without it, I don't know how we could move on. I love your family so, so much.
Melissa, I was so sad to hear of your loss. I am so grateful for the gospel and the knowledge that families can be together forever. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
Love, Abbey
Melissa and Brandon-We were so sorry to hear of your loss. What a wonderful blessing it is to have the knowledge that you have the opportunity to one day be with your precious little girl, and she will be perfect. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.
M and B, I hope you guys can eventually be at peace after your horrible experience. I can't even begin to imagine what that must have been like. While nothing like that has happened to me, it has happened to MANY friends and family members of mine. Collin and I are truly sorry for your loss. Best wishes to a better 2010. Tara
Melissa & Brandon, I am so, so sorry to hear of your loss. I pray that you are blessed with peace at this time, and know you have many friends and family thinking of you and praying for you.
Melissa - I am so sorry for your loss. WE love you guys and are so greatful that you chose to move by us. You were such great neighbors. I will never forget all that you did for us and the fun times we had. You are great people and You are right - families are forever!!
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. What a great comfort the Gospel brings. Many prayers and thoughts go to you and your wonderful family.
Post a Comment